Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What Would St.Nicholas Be Without Krampus or Yin And Yang

Probably everybody knows the story how St.Nicholas became Santa Clause. But here in Austria we honor also his companion KRAMPUS. On December 5th a wild mob of furry creatures with horns, carrying chains and rods roaming the streets when it’s getting dark. St. Nikolaus come to children and bring the well-behaved candies and chocolate and he is always accompanied from Krampus who will punish the bad children.
So when we were children we never could be sure what will happen on this day. My grandfather was disguised as Krampus and my grandmother as St. Nicholas. But my brothers and I didn’t know this, so we were more than nervous. Mostly we got a slight hit on our backside to remind us to be obedient and than got our little Nikolausbags with candies and chocolates.
click to enlarge

But in the last years people meant the figure of a Krampus will hurt our kids soul and so St. Nicholas is walking alone his way. I think that is not what I want to teach my daughter. „Be nice and you will get a reward, if you don’t it happens nothing.“ NO, NO, NO. Life isn’t that way. Sometimes you are lucky and you come through, but most of the time we have to be able to deal with the unpleasant results of misbehave and mistakes.
All people need the balance in life. The old Chinese knew that and called it YIN and YANG. To value the good in life you have to know about the bad. You don’t have to experience it but know about it.
So I fight my battle for KRAMPUS and I put chocolate krampus in the little bags for my girlie and my godchildren.
This is a KRAMPUS, photo from Wikipedia and two links for more information:
On December 5th a wild mob of furry creatures with horns, carrying chains and rods roaming the streets when it’s getting dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I read them all and I visit your blog asap and comment back!